Ferrell Commons began construction in 1968 as an area for students to socialize.1 It included a multipurpose room, a snack bar, meeting rooms, an infirmary, student government offices, newspaper office, and a lost and found.2 Since then most of those offices and rooms have found new residents and the offices now located in Ferrell Commons include Dining services, Integrity and Ehtical Development, Knights Helping Knights Pantry, Live Oak Event Center, Pre-Health and Pre-Law Advising office, SDES Information Technology, Office of Student Conduct, Student Disability Services, Student Legal Services, and the office of Student Rights and Responsibilities.3
New to this area is the Pre-Health and Pre-Law Advising office. This office is known as a focal point for communicating with pre-professional students concerning required courses for professional school within the health and legal sector. In addition, the pre-professional advising center offers volunteer and shadowing opportunities, internships, extra-curricular activities, school tours, seminars, test and application materials, important timelines and deadlines, and selection of possible professional schools. OPPA’s goal is to enhance the likelihood of success for all Pre-professional students who seek acceptance into a professional school relating to health and legal professions.4
Another highlight to this area is the Office of Student Legal Services. This office provides qualified students with legal counseling and court representation in certain cases. Staffed attorneys will interview each client individually and advise in areas of law which may be of concern.5
Finally, the office of Dispute Resolution Services specializes in the promotion of individual responsibility and personal development. The programs provided are designed to develop awareness toward integrity, ethical decision-making, conflict resolution and supportive communication. Services include meditation, couching sessions, and outreach workshops.6
- Millican Collection, Series III, Business Affairs, Capital Projects, Student Center 1965-1978, [Box 5].
- (1968). Village Center Serves Students. Central Florida Future, 1 (2), 1.
- Ferrell Commons - G - UCF Campus Map. Retrieved from https://map.ucf.edu/locations/7g/ferrell-commons-g/.
- Office of Pre-Health and Pre-Law Advising, Mission Statement. Retrieved from http://www.phpladvising.ucf.edu/.
- Student Legal Services - UCF. Retrieved from http://sls.sdes.ucf.edu/.
- Integrity and Ethical Development - UCF. Retrieved from http://ied.sdes.ucf.edu/.