The Bryant Slides Collection
This photograph shows a large building which is part of Havana's public square, which was originally called la Plaza Cívica (Civic Square), but after the Cuban Revolution was renamed "Plaza de la Revolución" or "Revolution Square." The large tower is a memorial to Jose Marti, which was erected during the Presidency of Fulgencio Batista. The square and the memorial were completed in 1959, the year that Fidel Castro came to power. This picture includes many vehicles of the 1950. In front of the building are two billboards. The billboard on the right is a political ad for, then president Batista. It reads "Paz, Trabajo, progreso" - meaning "Peace, Work and Progress."
Advertising, Political -- Cuba -- Havana -- 1950-1960; Automobiles -- Cuba -- 1950-1960; Billboards -- Cuba – Havana; Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company -- Products -- Cuba -- 1950-1960; Havana (Cuba) -- Description and travel; Jose Marti Memorial -- Revolution Square; La Plaza Civica (Havana, Cuba); Marti, Jose -- 1853-1895 – Congresses; Plaza de la Revolucion (Havana, Cuba); Plazas -- Cuba -- Havana
Havana (Cuba) -- Caribbean region
All rights to images are held by the respective holding institution. This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. For permission to reproduce images and/or for copyright information contact Special Collections & University Archives, University of Central Florida Libraries, Orlando, FL 32816 phone (407) 823-2576, email: email@example.com
Link to Descriptive Guide
"Large building in Havana, Cuba" (1956). British West Indies Cuba Slides. 57.