The confirmation class of eight students, with Pastor Stephen M. Tuhy, on the south side of the new brick church on May 19, 1940. Left to right (front) is Ellen Svrlinga, Lillian Jakubcin,Blanche Duda, Betty Mikler. Rear (left to right): Andrew Mertan, George Mertan, Dan Lukas and Steve Mertan. This was the first Confirmation to be held in the new brick church. As was the custom, the confirmands were required to undergo a verbal examination, answering questions from the Catechism, before the entire congregation. This was done at the worship service on the previous Sunday, March 12, 1940. The confirmands all had to "pass" this exam in order to become confirmed members of St. Luke's the next week. Snapshot (courtesy: Judy Duda) scanned at SLLS, 2001, for archival collection.
Slavia (Fla.) -- History
Tuhy, Stephen M., Rev.; Jakubcin, Lillian; Mikler, Betty; Svrlinga, Ellen; Mertan, Andrew; Lukas, Daniel; Mertan, George; Mertan, Steve
Seminole County, Fla.; Slavia (Fla.)
Side of Image
Front of Postcard
St. Luke's Lutheran Church and School; DSpace at St. Luke's
St. Luke's Lutheran Church: Brick Church 1939-1956
People; Places; Social Life
All rights to images are held by the respective holding institution. This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. For permission to reproduce images and/or for copyright information contact St. Lukeâ€™s Lutheran Church at 2021 W SR 426, Oviedo, FL 32765 or (407) 365-3408.
St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Oviedo, Fla.
Digital Reproduction Specifications
This image was derived from an uncompressed TIFF image scanned at a minimum of 400 dpi.
"Confirmation Day: May 19,1940" (1940). Images of Central Florida. 173.