August 24, 1941. Marian Katarina Stanko (left) and her sister, Johanna Blazena (Jennie) Stanko (far right) pose with their uncle and aunt, Juliana and Martin Stanko and their young sisters, Betty (left) and Ann Stanko, in the chancel of the (1939) brick church, following their Confirmation ceremony. Officiant: Rev. Stephen Tuhy. The Stankos were one of the Founding Families of Slavia and built a store and gas station to serve the Slavia community in 1926. Marian grew up in the home attached to that store and served St. Luke's School as a teacher before marrying Rev. John Obeda. Jennie ultimately married Mr. Hugh Cotton. Members of the Cotton family still play active roles in St. Luke's congregation. The two youngest sisters, Betty and Ann, were raised in Cleveland after the premature death of their mother, but were visiting Florida on the occasion of their older sisters' confirmation at St. Luke's. 5x7 glossy print scanned on Epson 1000XL at SLLC, November, 2011.
August 24. 1941
Slavia (Fla.) -- History
Stanko, Marian (Obeda); Stanko, Jennie (Cotton); Stanko, Martin; Stanko, Juliana; Stanko, Betty; Stanko, Ann; Obeda, John, Rev.; Cotton, Hugh; Stephen M., Rev.
Seminole County (Fla.); Slavia (Fla.)
Number of Images
Side of Image
Front of Postcard
St. Luke's Lutheran Church and School; DSpace at St. Luke's
People; Places; Social Life
All rights to images are held by the respective holding institution. This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. For permission to reproduce images and/or for copyright information contact St. Luke's Lutheran Church at 2021 W SR 426, Oviedo, FL 32765 or (407) 365-3408.
St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Oviedo, Fla.
Digital Reproduction Specifications
This image was derived from an uncompressed TIFF image scanned at a minimum of 400 dpi.
"Confirmation of Marian and Jennie Stanko, August 24, 1941" (1941). Images of Central Florida. 3852.