Images of Central Florida



image preview




Worship services; Founders Hall; Wiedenmann, Ruth; Construction of 1993 facility


Founders Hall (dedicated in 1979) became a crucial part of St. Luke's campus during the demolition of the 1957 church and construction of a new sanctuary from 1991-93. Without this large space (gymnasium), the congregation would have had no place to worship or conduct sacred ceremonies during this period of more than 2 years. Since the gymnasium was used by the school on a daily basis, as well as for occasional weekend tournaments, however, a rigorous ritual was launched early every Sunday morning and for special ceremonies. A crew of volunteers was enlisted to cover the gym floor and place 700 chairs for worshipers each week. A portable altar was constructed for use in the Hall and Miss Ruth Wiedenmann, St. Luke's Music Director and Art teacher, created ecclesiastical art displays for the east wall of the Hall, to transform the gymnasium into a worshipful atmosphere. As the church seasons changed, Ruth created additional designs, as appropriate. It was during this interim of more than two years that the use of individual hymnals for Sunday worship was abandoned (since the chairs had no racks for hymnals) and the church office began to print the complete worship service each week.


c. 1991-93


Seminole County (Fla.)

Number of Images

2 images

Side of Image

Front of Postcard


St. Luke's Lutheran Church and School; DSpace at St. Luke's

Repository Collection

St. Luke's Lutheran Church: Brick church 1957-1992



Rights Statement

All rights to images are held by the respective holding institution. This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. For permission to reproduce images and/or for copyright information contact St. Luke's Lutheran Church at 2021 W SR 426, Oviedo, FL 32765 or (407) 365-3408.

Digital Publisher

St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Oviedo, Fla.

Digital Reproduction Specifications

Jpeg2000 images were derived from previously scanned jpeg images.


Worship services; Founders Hall; Wiedenmann, Ruth; Construction of 1993 facility