Images of Central Florida



image preview


Hair, Harold


1939 brick church; Blueprint


Even as they gathered on their cemetery grounds and held services in a small wood structure crafted of wood from deserted turpentine shack, the members of St. Luke's looked forward eagerly to a time when they could have a permanent house of worship. By 1938, they had an initial floor plan for a brick structure which would be erected and dedicated by the following year. Architect Harold Hair, of Winter Park, provided the design for a small sanctuary which included a bell-tower and vestibule, with spaces adjacent to the chancel for a vestry on one side and a sacristy on the other. A small nook was designed for the south side of the nave, to provide space for an organ and an exit door. The original structure still stands some 75 years later, having survived several expansions and remodelings, and is currently used as a chapel. Several pages of the blueprints dated Dec.10,1938 were preserved and scanned. Since only a few photographs of the 1939 sanctuary exist, the blueprints are helpful in envisioning that space as it originally looked.




Seminole County, Fla.

Side of Image

Front of Postcard


St. Luke's Lutheran Church and School; DSpace at St. Luke's

Repository Collection

A. Original Church 1912-1938



Rights Statement

All rights to images are held by the respective holding institution. This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. For permission to reproduce images and/or for copyright information contact St. Luke's Lutheran Church at 2021 W SR 426, Oviedo, FL 32765 or (407) 365-3408.

Digital Publisher

St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Oviedo, Fla.

Digital Reproduction Specifications

Jpeg2000 images were derived from previously scanned jpeg images.


1939 brick church; Blueprint


Image Location