Under the supervision of Rev. Stephen Tuhy, St. Luke's initiated a ministry, entitled "The Lutheran Radio Mission" on Sunday, May 4, 1952. The full hour programs featured live, direct broadcasts of St. Luke's English worship services every week, via "remote control." The equipment operators (young men of the congregation) were trained by Pastor Tuhy, who adhered to the highest FCC standards in preparing the broadcasts. To that end, Pastor Tuhy personally composed musical interludes, which were played by the organists to cover the silences (or the sound of his footsteps) as he traversed the chancel area...from lectern to altar, e.g., during the worship service. The congregation was prompted to be in their pews, ready to sing the signature hymn ("A Mighty Fortress") immediately after the ringing of the bell, which was done at precisely the right time each week. The radio ministry continued for about 3 decades, although in later years, changes in delivery systems and management of area stations dictated that the broadcasts be delayed for one week. Recordings of the services were hand-delivered to the stations for that purpose early each week. The general public and especially "shut-ins" were encouraged to listen to the broadcasts. This outreach ministry was further enhanced by the gift of recordings (and even actual radios), as well as visits, made to patients in area hospitals and others who were confined to their beds or did not have a church home of their own. Pastor Tuhy, in a interview with the "Orlando Evening Star," on December 5, 1953, announced the move of the program to WORZ, a station which "will cover 17 counties of Central FL from the Atlantic to the Gulf." Articles from various publications, including "The Orlando Evening Star," "The Orlando Sentinel Star," "The Floridian," and the "Sanford Herald" from May, 1952 through March, 1954.
Slavia (Fla.) -- History
Tuhy, Stephen M., Rev.
Orlando Evening Star; Orlando Sentinel Star; The Floridian; Sanford Herald
Number of Pages
7 newspaper clips.
St. Luke's Lutheran Church; Radio Ministry; WTTR, Sanford; WORZ; WDBO; WKIS; Sentinel Star, Orlando; The Floridian; Sanford Herald
St. Luke's Lutheran Church and School; DSpace at St. Luke's
St. Luke's Lutheran Church: Brick Church 1939-1956
St. Luke's Church Archives
AAI (Assael Associates, Inc); MS-100 (Like a Mustard Seed: A Century of Faith)
Seminole County, Fla.; Slavia (Fla.)
All rights to images are held by the respective holding institution. This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. For permission to reproduce images and/or for copyright information contact St. Lukeâ€™s Lutheran Church at 2021 W SR 426, Oviedo, FL 32765 or (407) 365-3408.
St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Oviedo, Fla.
Digital Reproduction Specifications
This image was derived from an uncompressed TIFF image scanned at a minimum of 400 dpi.
People; Places; Social Life
Unknown, "Radio Ministry of St. Luke's Lutheran Church" (1952). Text Materials of Central Florida. 80.