At the January 19, 1894 public dedication of their newly-completed meeting hall, the members of the Melrose Ladies Literary and Debating Society listened attentively while the society president, Mrs. Eliza M. King, recited for a public audience including many of the town's leading citizens, the proud history of the society's first three years. Society secretary, Miss Nellie Glen, also read from a report she had presented previously (privately to club members in February 1893) that in "mid summer of 1890," members of the club, "having caught something of the spirit in this progressive age," met together to plan "some cooperative system of education, which should be helpful, and in the line of progress."1
Patterson, Cynthia L.
"Catching the Spirit: The Melrose Ladies Literary and Debating Society 1890-1899,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 96:
2, Article 3.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol96/iss2/3