The history of Camp Blanding, a World War II training facility, has its origins in the Florida National Guard. Beginning in 1907, the Florida National Guard trained at Black Point on the St. Johns River, just southwest of Jacksonville. The War Department held an adjacent site where many ranges were located. Training involved some monthly drill periods, but focused primarily on summer encampments.
Cressman, Jr., George E.
"Camp Blanding in World War II: The Early Years,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 97:
1, Article 3.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol97/iss1/3