Human Probability Matching Behavior In Response To Alarms Of Varying Reliability
Abbreviated Journal Title
ATTENTION; ALARM; PSYCHOMOTOR PERFORMANCE; HABITUATION; MOTOR SKILLS; WARNING MESSAGES; PERFORMANCE; SYSTEMS; Engineering, Industrial; Ergonomics; Psychology, Applied; Psychology
The goals of this research were to substantiate the existence of the cry-wolf effect for alarm responses, quantifying its effect on operator performance. A total of 138 undergraduate students performed two blocks of a cognitively demanding psychomotor primary task; at the same time, they were presented with alarms of varying reliabilities (25, 50 and 75% true alarms) and urgencies (green, yellow and red visual alarms presented concurrently with low-, medium- and high-urgency auditory civilian aircraft cockpit alarms). Alarm response frequencies were observed and analysed, and t-tests and repeated-measures MANOVAs were used to assess the effects of increasing alarm reliability on alarm response frequencies, speed and accuracy. The results indicate that most subjects (about 90%) do not respond to all alarms but match their response rates to the expected probability of true alarms (probability matching). About 10% of the subjects responded in the extreme, utilizing an all-or-none strategy. Implications of these results for alarm design instruction and further research are discussed.
"Human Probability Matching Behavior In Response To Alarms Of Varying Reliability" (1995). Faculty Bibliography 1990s. 1289.