A school for white children existed in St. Augustine as early as 1606. Whether it continued to function during the rest of this first period of Spanish dominion is a question that cannot now be answered. But if it did survive, it must have come to a close on the cession of the province to the British in 1763; for the change of sovereignty was followed by a general abandonment of the territory by the Spanish inhabitants. When the Spanish came back twenty years later the British in turn departed. With the restoration of sovereignty went the restoration of the school.
Lockey, Joseph B.
"Public Education in Spanish St. Augustine,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 15:
3, Article 3.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol15/iss3/3