At the close of the Civil War, there were but two counties on the East Coast south of Cape Canaveral, Brevard and Dade. Dade had been established in 1886, but it was still virtually uninhabited wilderness in 1870, extending from the present southern boundary of St. Lucie County to the keys. The following narrative and statistical extracts are taken from The Florida Gazetteer, compiled and published by J. M. Hawkes, M. D. (New Orleans, 1871, 214 p.) Few copies were printed and the volume has now become rare.
Society, Florida Historical
"The East Coast in 1870,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 18
, Article 6.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol18/iss2/6