The city of St. Augustine, in the serenity which comes from nearly four hundred years of existence, inevitably carries the visitor back to the days of the Spanish Empire. Its narrow streets, its low coquina houses with their balconies overhanging the roadway, its shady square running from the old Governor’s House down to the bay, and above all the massive yet graceful lines of the fort which should be called as of old Castillo de San Marcos, all bring back the spirit of the Old World to blend with that of the New into something of its original charm and lusty strength. Only a few other North American cities, such as Charleston, Marblehead and Quebec, possess this same happy power of evoking the past. Each has its own character and associations and each its distinctive appeal. That of St. Augustine, so well described by Dr. Chatelaine in a recent issue of the Quarterly, is definitely Spanish, and the visitor, unless reminded by one of the flags over the ‘oldest house’, may well forget that the city was ever in British possession.
Mowat, Charles L.
"St. Augustine Under the British Flag, 1763-1775,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 20:
2, Article 3.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol20/iss2/3