This is an account of the first public school, under the American system of support by property taxation, established in Florida after it became a possession of the United States by transfer from Spain in 1821. The school was opened in St. Augustine in 1832, and these facts concerning it are derived largely from the contemporaneous St. Augustine Florida Herald, copies of which are in the Library of Congress. Apparently there are no extant official records of the establishment of this school, and it seems to be unknown to writers on Florida’s early educational movements. Therefore, the ordinances concerning the school, as published in the Florida Herald, are quoted in full for their preservation and for reference as well as their interest.
Davis, T. Frederick
"Pioneer Florida: A Free Public School in St. Augustine, 1832,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 22
, Article 4.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol22/iss4/4