In the dense jungle growth of a hammock ten miles north of Ormond, are bare arches of coquina and great rectangular chimneys of another age towering above the live oaks and palmettos-all surrounded by the desolation of more than a century. This is what is left of Bulow Ville, one of the largest of the sixteen plantations, each working more than one hundred slaves, which were destroyed by the Indians early in 1835 in the section south and west of St. Augustine.
Wilson, Ruth Danenhower
"The Bulow Plantation, 1821-1835,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 23
, Article 7.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol23/iss4/7