A little more than six miles of Anastasia island, eastward of St. Augustine, is shown on the old map by De Brahm, one-time surveyor-general for the Southern District of British America. The channel is depicted and, less than a mile east of the fortress or “castle,” the bar. The Look-out Tower stands two thirds of the island’s width at that point from its inner side, a little more than a fifth of a mile from its outer side, and half a mile from the shore directly north. De Brahm’s survey was made in 1765 and 1766. On a much earlier map Boazio shows Drake’s attack on St. Augustine in June 1586. On this map a few lines represent the Look-out as standing in the northeastern area of Anastasia island, with mounds of sand to the east and north. Tilled plots of ground are scattered among clumps of trees southwest of the Look-out, three of the plots having houses. Drake’s fleet lies off the east shore of the island from the channel a distance southward. Boats are landing troops north of the Look-out and more boats at the north end of the town.
Siebert, Wilbur H.
"The Port of St. Augustine During the British Regime,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 24:
4, Article 3.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol24/iss4/3