Jackson county, when established by the act of August 12, 1822, extended from the Choctawhatchee river to the Suwannee. Terms of court were directed to be held at “the Big Spring, on the Chipola," the present Blue Spring. When Gadsden county was created in 1823 from that portion of Jackson county lying east of the Apalachicola, the Legislative Council directed that courts for Jackson county be held “at the Big Spring on the Choctahatcha” until a county seat should be permanently established. The council further provided for the appointment, by the County Court, of three commissioners to select a permanent seat of justice for the county, a provision that apparently was ignored.
"Locating the County Seat of Jackson County,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 26:
1, Article 5.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol26/iss1/5