In September, 1812, a small detachment of the United States Army, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas A. Smith, was camped near Moosa Old Fort. Not more than five hundred yards from the American forces was the unkempt and open quarters of a small band of men who called themselves the “Patriots of East Florida." Just across the San Sebastian river from these camps lay the town of St. Augustine with its formidable fort, Castillo de San Marcos, manned by Spanish regulars and colored militia from the Spanish West Indian possessions.
Patrick, Rembert W.
"Letters of the Invaders of East Florida, 1812,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 28
, Article 7.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol28/iss1/7