First lieutenant governor of Florida, a new office created by the constitution of 1868, William H. Gleason was political leader of the Northern settlers in South Florida who were Republican. A real estate developer, Gleason came to Florida in 1866 from Wisconsin via Virginia. After residing in Miami where he made his home until the early 1880’s Gleason later moved to Eau Gallie in the Indian River country.
Williamson, Edward C.
"Florida’s First Reconstruction Legislature: A Letter of William H. Gleason,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 32:
1, Article 6.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol32/iss1/6