The recorded history of the fortifications at St. Augustine, Florida, begins on the day the Spaniards, under Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles, landed at the Timucua Indian village of Seloy in the late summer of 1565. A large Indian communal house was turned over to the newcomers, who immediately set to work throwing up earthworks around the aboriginal structure.
Harrington, J. C.
"Archeological Excavations in the Courtyard of Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine, Florida,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 34
, Article 4.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol34/iss2/4