On the Gulf coast of southcentral Florida, where the St. Marks River flowing from further upstate meets the longer, shallower, eastward flowing Wakulla, the union of their waters forms a wide, deep, river-mouth harbor for any sea-going vessels that can pass the bar six miles further down at the entrance to the bay of Apalache. Where the two rivers come together there is a narrow headland that rises above the height of the tide and thrusts as it were a pointing finger toward the open sea. Today it is only a part of the harbor’s shoreline, grown up with tall trees and thick bushes that hide the almost obliterated outlines of earthworks. On this headland, in the year 1680, Spaniards built the first Fort of San Marcos de Apalache.
Wenhold, Lucy L.
"The First Fort of San Marcos de Apalache,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 34
, Article 3.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol34/iss4/3