Entering Pensacola Harbor from the Gulf of Mexico in 1861 one would have seen, as he crossed the ba , Fort McRee immediately on his left on the main land or west shore of the bay and to the right Fort Pickens on the western extremity of Santa Rosa Island. This island, lying approximately parallel to the shore of the mainland, is nearly forty miles long and is separated from the mainland by Pensacola Bay. On the mainland opposite Fort Pickens and at a distance of about one and one-half miles stood Fort Barrancas and about another one and one-half miles east of Fort Barrancas was the village of Warrington which adjoined the Navy Yard.
Bearrs, Edwin C.
"Civil War Operations in and around Pensacola,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 36
, Article 5.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol36/iss2/5