As the Civil War approached, the Episcopal Church in Flor- ida found herself for the first time since the opening of the territory in a position of stability. She had weathered the hardships and uncertainties of the territorial period; her older parishes had become self-supporting congregations, and were embarking on vigorous parochial and educational projects; and a new group of lively missions was springing up in towns like Fernandina, Ocala, and Palatka, and in agricultural villages like Waukeena and Milton. The Diocese of Florida, which had been bishopless for thirteen years after its organization in 1838, had enjoyed the episcopal ministrations of its own diocesan since 1851, and as a sign of financial stability, the diocesan enjoyed a stipend which was paid with a degree of regularity that would have seemed strange to him five years before.
Cushman, Jr., Joseph D.
"The Episcopal Church in Florida During the Civil War,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 38
, Article 4.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol38/iss4/4