After Drake burned the fort at St. Augustine in 1586, the settlers gave the name of San Marcos to the wooden building which took its place - Fort Number Seven. They had long wanted and asked for a fort of stone, and it would seem as if the discovery of coquina by Pedro Menendez Marques, in 1580, should have helped to bring about the realization of their wishes; but always, something came up to prevent it.
Conner, Jeannette Thurber
"The Nine Old Wooden Forts of St. Augustine, Part II,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 4
, Article 4.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol4/iss4/4