Not until just before World War II did Leon become an urban county. Tallahassee always had been the only real town in the county, and for more than a century it had been a fairly small community. The 1940 census showed that for the first time more than half the county’s population, 16,240 of the 31,646 persons, lived in Tallahassee. The city’s growth since World War II has turned Leon into one of Florida’s most urban counties. Before that time it shared with its four neighboring counties-Jackson, Gadsden, Jefferson, and Madison-the characteristics of being rural, agricultural, and, for the most part, black. Even in 1940 Leon was part of the “black belt” of nearly 200 counties extending from Virginia to Texas, with a population of 16,106 blacks and 15,540 whites.
Paisley, Clifton L.
"Van Brunt's Store, Iamonia, Florida, 1902-1911,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 48:
4, Article 3.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol48/iss4/3