Soon after East Florida was returned to Spain by the British following the American Revolution, a governmental structure was established with headquarters in St. Augustine. The first governor of this second Spanish period, Don Vizente Manuel de Zespedes, carried out the complex process of transferring jurisdiction. Thus by 1790, when the second governor, Juan Nepomuceno de Quesada, arrived in the province most of the English settlers had emigrated and Spanish institutions-government, trade, church, and school-were operating. St. Augustine was a town of approximately 1,862 persons, of whom 450 were in the military and about 412 were slaves.
Miller, Janice Borton
"Rebellion in East Florida in 1795,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 57:
2, Article 6.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol57/iss2/6