Fire destroyed much of Pensacola during the night of September 24-25, 1848. Among the many buildings lost to the flames was the imposing, three-story brick mansion that once had served as the West Florida headquarters of Panton, Leslie and Company. For over half a century its columns had towered above the northern shoreline of Pensacola Bay as silent reminders of bygone years when William Panton, its builder and first occupant, had lorded it over the southern Indian trade from within its confines.
Watson, Thomas D.
"A Lost Landmark Revisited: The Panton House of Pensacola,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 60
, Article 5.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol60/iss1/5