Between 1875 and 1886, ten houses of refuge and a life-saving station were built at intervals along Florida’s east coast below St. Augustine. Their primary purpose was to aid shipwreck victims, but they provided strongholds in the wilderness as well. The stations, as they were called by the early settlers, joined four lighthouses to establish a governmental presence and a framework to which pioneer development clung.
Thurlow, Sandra Henderson
"Lonely Vigils: Houses of Refuge on Florida's East Coast, 1876-1915,"
Florida Historical Quarterly: Vol. 76:
2, Article 4.
Available at: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/fhq/vol76/iss2/4