kaplan collection, tools
A useful addition to war-time medical care, the Wyeth Tubex Syringe cartridge was developed around 1943 during the second World War. The glass cartridge syringe is pre-filled with drugs and has a sterile needle attached to it. The cartridge is then placed in the reusable stainless steel holder and the needle protector is removed, making the syringe ready for immediate injection for drug administration. Other immediate use products preceded the development of the Tubex Syringe, but these proved to be problematic and not as sterile. These syringes are filled with Morphine, Distilled Water, and Meperidine. After World War II, the system expanded to include a large variety of drugs from antibiotics to vaccines. Though a few products are still manufactured in Tubex, the Wyeth company - now a part of the Pfizer company - has since discontinued the entire line of products.
"Wyeth Syringe Case" (1943). Kaplan Collection. 25.