Finding Local Health and Education Statistics
Finding local statistics can often be a challenging and time consuming task, especially since many local datasets may be "hidden" within a PDF or a spreadsheet. This page is designed to showcase some of the more popoular local database sets and how to use them. Most of the sites are Florida specific and are broken down to the county, city or municipality level. This is by no means a comprehensive guide, but can be used as a starting point to finding local statistics in selected subject areas shown below.
Florida Vital Statistics Annual Reports (Broken down by county)
Reports available include (but are not limited to):
- Resident live births by race of mother, by county
- Resident live births to unwed mothers by county
- Resident live births to mothers 15 through 19 years of age for selected indicators, and age-specific birth rates per 1,000 females, by county, Florida
Florida CHARTS (Community Health Assessment Resource Tool Set)
Interactive Community Maps (Broken down by census tract- very detailed).
- BIRTHS- Frequencies and Rates for selected key birth measures such as low birthweight and mothers who smoked during pregnancy
Comparing Hospitals, Hospice Providers, Surgery Centers, Nursing Homes & Health Plans
Compare Hospitals, Hospice Providers, Ambulatory Surgery Centers, Nursing Homes, Health Plans. Examples of data sets for hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers include:
- Hospitalizations, length of stay, and charges (includes pediatrics, and adult readmission data)
- Mortality Rates
- Complication / Infection Rates
- Facility Profiles
County Chronic Disease Profile (Broken down by county)
View indicators (deaths, hospitalizations, incidence) for chronic diseases such as Coronary Heart Disease, Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Diabetes, Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases (CLRD), etc. by county.
Behavioral risk factor data, such as “Percentage of adults with diagnosed hypertension” is also available. Includes trend graphs of selected indicators including Age-Adjusted Rates for certain diseases. Can compare to the U.S. Healthy People 2010 Goal for each condition.
Quick Health Data Online (Broken down by county)
Sponsored by the Department of Health and Human Services' Office on Women's Health (OWH). Formerly known as the National Women's Health Indicators Database, the system provides county-level data for all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and US territories and possessions. Topics include:
- Codes and Status
- Access to Care
- Infectious/Chronic Disease
- Maternal Health
- Mental Health
- Violence and Abuse
- Reproductive Health
Florida Department of Education EIAS Data Publications and Reports
Archival data is available as PDFs and Excel workbooks. Be sure to check the tabs at the bottom of the file to view the different tables. Broken down by county or district, has some school data.
- (Staff)Teacher Demographics
- (Staff)Teacher Salary, Experience, and Degree Level
- (Staff) Gender Representation Among Professionals In Florida's Public Schools
- (Students) Graduation Rates by District and School
- (Students) English Language Learners
- (Students) Membership in Programs for Exceptional Students
- (Students) Year Absences: Students Absent 21+ Days (%)
- (Students) Dropout Rate (%)
- (Students) Membership in Florida Public Schools
Florida Vital Statistics Annual Reports
Broken down by county, has some city data. Reports available include:
- Resident Deaths For Incorporated Cities Of 2,400 Or More Population, By Race, By County, Florida,
- Resident Deaths For Selected Causes, By Age Groups, By County (includes over 20 specific causes such as Cancer, Heart Diseases, Chronic Liver Disease/Cirrhosis, Septicemia, Stroke, etc.)
- Resident Deaths By Selected Causes, By County (Includes Accidents, Diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Flu/Pneumonia, Suicide, etc.)
Florida CHARTS (Community Health Assessment Resource Tool Set)
View detailed interactive health related maps of your area broken down by census tract. Zoom in to see zip code and Streets. All maps use 2000 census tract boundaries.
- FETAL AND INFANT DEATHS - Counts of Florida resident stillbirths and infant deaths.
- DEATHS- Counts of Florida resident deaths for major causes of death (including but not limited to Cancer, Falls, Heart Diseases, HIV/AIDS, Homicide, Prostate Cancer, etc.)
County & State Profiles: Major Causes of Death
Contains 2014 data for 17 classifications including cancer, heart disease, chronic lower respiratory disease, unintentional injuries, stroke, Alzheimer's disease, septicemia, homicide, suicide, Parkinson's disease, Aids/Hiv, perinatal conditions, etc.
A 20 year trend graph is available for most conditions. Also contains estimats for Years of Potential Life Lost.
County Death Data Comparison
County Chronic Disease Profile - Obesity
2010 data broken down by County. Includes “Percentage of adults who are overweight” and “Percentage of adults who are obese” by County. Also has Behavioral risk factor data, such as “Percentage of adults Who engage in no leisure-time physical activity”.
Florida Behavioral Risk Factor Data report
Comprehensive reports in PDF. See County-level BRFSS Reports. Covers a wide variety of risk factors, indicators and conditions.
Traffic accident data
Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) Encyclopedia
Contains fatality statistics by county. To find FARS Data on Brevard County:
- Go to http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/
- Click on the ‘FARS Data Tables’ tab and select ‘States’, then ‘Fatalities and Fatality Rates’(or one of the other Subheadings)
- Click on ‘Florida’
- Scroll down to ‘Brevard’
Subheadings include Crashes and All Victims, Occupants, Pedestrians, Alcohol, and Fatalities and Fatality Rates.
Traffic Crash Facts in DHSMV Recurring/Periodic Reports
This website, sponsored by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles) have information on the total number of crashes as well as the number of alcohol related crashes in municipalities (such as Merritt Island).
To find this information:
- Go to Traffic Crash Facts
- Select a year to download the full document in PDF
- Find Table 42 (Alcohol Related Crashes by City/Locality) and scroll down to ‘Merritt Island’ or a city of your choice (keep in mind that each page has 2 columns).
- The number of total crashes is listed next to the number of alcohol related crashes.
Youth Substance Abuse, Violence, and Delinquent Behavior
Florida Youth Substance Abuse Survey (FYSAS) – (Broken down by county)
Try looking ‘County Reports’ and select ‘Brevard’
Charts can include:
- Percentages of Brevard County youth and Florida Statewide youth who reported having used various drugs in their lifetimes, by grade, sex and age
- Lifetime trend in alcohol, tobacco & other drug use for Brevard County youth.
- Percentages of Brevard County youth and Florida Statewide youth who reported a perceived risk of harm or personal disapproval, by grade, sex and age
- Percentages of Brevard County youth who reported gambling and arguing about gambling in the past 12 months, by grade, sex and age.
- Percentages of Brevard County youth and Florida Statewide youth who reported engaging in delinquent behavior within the past 12 months, by grade, sex and age. Subsets can include but are not limited to:
- - Carrying a handgun
- - Selling drugs
- - Attempting to steal a vehicle
- - Taking a handgun to school
- - Getting arrested