Images of Central Florida



image preview




Interior of 1957 church; Chancel; 1990; 1986-87; Pulpit; Altar; Transepts; Rossow, E.J., Rev.


St. Luke's brick church (built in 1939 and expanded in 1957) was no longer large enough for the congregation by the 1980s. Under Pastor Rossow's leadership, the structure was remodeled in 1986-87, to accommodate the increase in attendance that occurred as Oviedo and Seminole County experienced rapid growth. The interior remodeling was undertaken as an interim step as the congregation wrestled with the best plan for building a much larger sanctuary and support facilities. To provide additional seating space, the church offices (situated in the south transept until that time) were moved to the now-vacant parsonage. Photos taken in the spring of 1990 reveal that the 1957 chancel was then modified to provide better sight lines for those sitting in both transepts. The altar was moved forward (the pastor would now stand behind it); the big carved pulpit was removed for storage and the smaller lectern was used for preaching and readings; the carved chancel "walls" were removed and new, open communion rails were now placed at the perimeter of the chancel (allowing more communicants to be served at one time); the baptismal font was moved into the chancel, itself. A rare photo, taken from the western exterior door provides a glimpse of the narrow narthex entry, with a staircase (to the right) leading up to the balcony (choir loft). To the left (though not visible in the photo) were a small restroom and storage closet. Another space leading up to the double interior doors was used as a "mothers' room" with glass walls providing a view of the nave. These components of the 1957 expansion were permanently removed during the demolition of the transepts and remodeling of the original (1939)portion of the building in 1991. The "chapel" that remained as a part of the new hybrid structure dedicated in 1993 no longer featured a balcony nor a glassed-in space.




Seminole County (Fla.)

Number of Images

2 images

Side of Image

Front of Postcard


St. Luke's Lutheran Church and School; DSpace at St. Luke's

Repository Collection

St. Luke's Lutheran Church: Brick church 1957-1992; SLLC Church Archives



Rights Statement

All rights to images are held by the respective holding institution. This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. For permission to reproduce images and/or for copyright information contact St. Luke's Lutheran Church at 2021 W SR 426, Oviedo, FL 32765 or (407) 365-3408.

Digital Publisher

St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Oviedo, Fla.

Digital Reproduction Specifications

Jpeg2000 images were derived from previously scanned jpeg images.


Interior of 1957 church; Chancel; 1990; 1986-87; Pulpit; Altar; Transepts; Rossow, E.J., Rev.